There is an old expression that says, “Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach”. Whoever believes in this statement obviously has never had to spend an afternoon trying to (1)… kids, let alone for an entire school year. (2)… fulfill an important role in society and they have the potential to play an important (3) … in any child’s upbringing. If you are looking for advice on how to (4) … a teacher you should know that the job (and training) can be quite demanding. Not everyone can (or should) become a teacher and it’s important to do some self-reflection to see if the (5)… might be for you. The world will always need good teachers, especially those who aren’t happy to settle for simply meeting (6)… requirements. Teachers can also be role (7)… and guides to help kids to navigate through the often frustrating task of growing up. As a teacher, it will be your responsibility to successfully teach them the core (8) …subjects so that they can move away from the hang-up of possibly poor scholastic performance, and move towards finding their (9) … through the other aspects of being in (10)… .
Ex. 4. In small groups or with your group-mate:
- Discuss your motivation for choosing the teaching career. Work out and name Top 10 reasons for it.
- Suggest the measures which could promote the retention of chemistry teachers and improve the conditions of teaching chemistry at school.
- Debate how universities could motivate students to pursue a career in teaching sciences.
1. Can you think of any interconnections between the above mentioned directions of chemistry?
2. Specify positive and negative effects of development of the above mentioned directions of chemistry on:
- research scientists
- humanity and its further development
3. Which direction do you consider to be the most highly developed in Belarus? Why?
4. Which sphere of chemistry can “boast” of having the greatest number of achievements made by our Belarusian chemists?