Home Random Page



3. Vasilevsky Island as the former port and later center of education.

PTG decided that the largest island in Neva deltha Vasiilovsky would be the administrative heart of new capital.

The point/speed of V.I. When St.-P. became the capital in 1712 PTG decided to build a trading port & it existed up to the end of the 19 cent. The Rostrals Columns were installed & used as lighthouses for upcoming & outgoing of the ships. Theyre 32 m high & decorated with metal rostrums prows of the ships designed for damaged the sides of the enemys vessels. Here we find the reminds of Russian fleet victories. At the feet of the columns the large figures personified the Russian trade waterways are; Volga, Dnepr, Volhov & Neva. Today the 7 m high gas torches are lit above these columns during the festivals held in the city.

In the center of the square there is a former Stock Exchange. It was built in 1805-10 as the focal point of the speed by Toma de Thomon. Above the columned façade there is an allegorical sculpture featuring the sea God Neptun in a chariot drawn by the sea horses. After Revolution it was closed & in 1940 was turn into museum. It houses an exhibition of the History of the Russian & Soviet Navy from its origin under PTG to the present day. Private place belongs to the Botik small masted vessel on which Peter learned to sail.

The ensemble was comleted with the buildings of the warehouses & Customs House in 1820-30s. One of the warehouses is Zoological Museum. It has 2500 exhibits including The Mammoth found in the permafrost in Siberia in 1900.

The Former Customs House houses the Institute of Russian Literature, which is also called as Pushkins House (monuscrips by Pushkin, Lrmontov, Necrasov, Gogol). From the very beginning the V.I. was meant as the administrative & cultural center. But the idea of the administrative center didnt worked out, though island has always been the most important education center.

St.-P. State University is one of the oldest buildings in the city designed by Trezzini in 1732 for the 12 ministries of PTG. Its function gradually changed & in 1819 it was occupied by University. Among graduates were Pavlov, Sechenov, Mechnikov, Chernishevsky, Turgenev, Mendeleev. Nowadays the University has over 35 000 students studying at fulltime, part-time & be corresponded department.

Kynstcamera . the chamber of curiosities. Was designed by Matarnov & zemzov in 1718-34. it was the 1st public museum founded by PTG. He was interested in every kind of rarity, it could be furniture, porcelain, costumes. While touring Polland he attende lectures of famous anotamist Frederick Ruysch. He was very impressed & started to collect anatomic preparations.

The Academy of Science was founded in 1724 be Quarengi next to the Kynstcamera. In 1934 it was transferred to Moscow & now houses the presidium of the Russian N-W Academy of Science.

Menchikov Palace was designed for Prince Menchikov (general governor) in 1710-18 by Fontana & Shadle. Its the 1st stone mansion in the city. In the 2nd half of the 18 cent the palace housed the 1st cadets school, nowadays its the branch of Hermitage (department of the Russian applied art of 18 cent).

The Academy of Arts was found in 1757 to train people in arts. The most famous are Repin, Zaharov, Voronihin. It was built in 1764-88 by Kokorinov & Vallin de la Mothe. Nowadays its one of the most popular art scholl in Russia. It exhibits the works of past & present students, including canvases, casts, drawings, models.

Egyptean Sphinks. Flanking the river stairs outside the Academy therere 2 sphinxes from the 15 cent B.C., made of pink granite, hieroglyphic inscription is glorifies Egyptean faraon Amenhoteb III.

Date: 2015-12-24; view: 644

<== previous page | next page ==>
2. PeternPaul fortress. The burial vault of the Romanovs. | 6. The main squares of St.-Petersburg. Their architectural ensembles. Historical events associated with them.
doclecture.net - lectures - 2014-2019 year. Copyright infringement or personal data (0.002 sec.)