Comprehension Check - I
Decide whether the following statements are true, false or vague according to text A.
1. A machine tool is a steam-driven tool that changes the size, shape or material of metal objects.
2. A true machine tool does at least 10 things.
3. The cutting tool makes a new part by cleaning metal from an original piece.
4. An average machining operation increases the original weight by approximately 50 percent.
5. A modern machine tool is characterized by its great precision.
6. The amount of machine tools at work in industry today is very limited.
7. Machine tools perform seven basic operations on metals such as turning, planning, milling, drilling, power sawing, grinding, and metalworking.
8. The lathe is the machine tool used to perform calculating operations.
9. The lathe consists of bed, headstock, tailstock, carriage.
10. An engine lathe, a turret lathe and an automatic lathe are the most widely used types of lathes.
Answer the following questions.
1. What functions does a true machine tool perform?
2. What makes it possible to produce a lot of similar parts?
3. How many kinds of machine tools are there at work in industry today? Give some examples of machine tools.
4. What basic operations do machine tools perform?
5. How does the lathe produce a cutting action?
6. What combination did the lathe develop from?
7. What are principal parts of the lathe?
8. What part supports the tool and the workpiece?
9. What is the cutting tool made of?
10. What types of lathes are the most widely used?
11. What makes it possible to use several different tools successively without resetting?
12. What is an automatic lathe used for?
Complete the grid. Look at these five clues and fill in the answers in the spaces provided below. You will find that you make a term-word in the vertical box. (You may hope for the key.)
1. Use for the purpose of lighting or heating (4)
2. Wear away, destroy slowly by chemical action or disease (7)
3. Become less useful or to be in a certain condition, by being used (4)
4. Become fixed, unable to move (4)
5. Go in the opposite direction (7)
Match the verbs with the synonyms.
| 1) complicated
|| 5) precision
|| e) precisely
| 2) exactly
|| 6) primarily
|| b) link
|| f) provide
| 3) connect
|| 7) equip
|| c) roughly
|| g) accuracy
| 4) range
|| 8) approximately
|| d) difficult
|| h) mainly
Match the verbs with the antonyms.
| 1) tiny
|| 5) proper
|| a) complex
|| e) irregular
| 2) inside
|| 6) alike
|| b) invariable
|| f) outside
| 3) regular
|| 7) back
|| c) front
|| g) different
| 4) simple
|| 8) variable
|| d) huge
|| h) improper
Fill in the correct prepositions.
1. Our cars are the equal ___ those produced anywhere ___ the world.
2. They have had a number ___ different tools, ranging ___ small devices ___ complicated machines.
3. Temporary traffic controls are ___ operation ___ New Road.
4. What skills are needed to operate ___ this machinery?
5. Machine tools performing thousands ___ operations ___ metal objects produce tiny screws and great turbine rotors...precision.
6. The lathe produces a cutting action ___ rotating a workpiece ___ a fixed tool having a single edge.
7. There are a lot ___, 500 to be exact, kinds ___ machine tools ___ work ___ industry today.
Read text B carefully paying attention to the words in bold type.
Date: 2015-12-18; view: 464