You are going to listen to the article written by Richard Sidaway. Match the words and phrases to the definitions.
| entry test
|| areas of knowledge you study at school
|| a number or letter to symbolize how well you have done in an exam
|| an examination to see if you are good enough to go to university
| Which one to go to
| intellectual elite
|| learning institutions built later than Oxford or Cambridge
| pecking order
|| the best minds in the country
| redbrick universities
|| paying for your education by being employed while you are studying
| tuition fees
|| money given by the state to help for e.g. education
| working your way through college
|| money you pay for a university course
| Where to live
| halls of residence
|| houses bought by the university and rented to their students
| private rented accommodation
|| communal accommodation built by university
| student houses
|| houses rented to anyone
| Year out
| gap year
|| money from a private organisation to help with the cost of study
| work placement
|| a year between school and university when you don’t study
| scholarship programme
|| a temporary position with a company to gain employment experience
| Teaching & learning
|| study away from the classroom often to collect data or samples
|| lesson in the form of a formal speech using notes and visual aids
| field trips
|| small group lesson based on discussing an area or problem
| How you are doing
|| a long, structured piece of writing exploring a subject in detail
| continuous assessment
|| examinations at the end of a course
|| evaluating pieces of work during the course
| Social life
| fraternities and sororities
|| organisations run by and for students to develop different interests
| clubs and societies
|| a place for students to have a drink
| student union bar
|| student membership organisations in the USA
| Life after university
|| exam to see what kind of jobs would suit you
| aptitude test
|| large ‘market place’ where employers try to interest students in working for them
|| the first university qualification you receive after 3 or more years of study
| recruitment fairs
|| highest university qualification after a Masters taking four or more years of research
|| university qualification gained after a degree taking one or two years
Listen to the article and complete the information according to the listening.
1. To be admitted to a university __________ and __________.
2. Most participants in higher education are __________.
3. Mature students __________.
Which one to go to
4. A few high status institutions at the top are __________, __________, __________, __________, __________.
5. The training grounds for medicine, law or engineering in Britain are __________.
6. When entrance was restricted to a lucky few in Britain, the state actually paid the sons and daughters of the middle classes __________ and __________.
7. These days most European and North American students are given __________.
8. Most European and North American students have to pay the money back to the government once ___________.
Where to live
9. In Britain for many years going to university meant __________.
10. Universities traditionally offer cheap and clean accommodation __________.
11. After a year or so, many students opt __________.
12. You haven’t really lived, if __________.
13. The gap year can be devoted to __________.
14. The gap year is important because __________.
15. If you want to study abroad, __________ or __________.
16. Business or management students often devote time away from university __________.
Teaching & learning
17. A common feature of any university is ___________.
18. In Britain, you are also expected __________.
19. Small group discussions led by a lecturer at which closer analysis of a particular area is undertaken are called __________.
20. Science-oriented courses also involve __________ and __________.
How you are doing
21. As at school, progress is measured by __________.
22. Examinations are either divided into Parts I & II or __________.
23. Progress can be based on __________ and __________.
24. An important component of most systems is __________.
25. This must be based on __________.
26. __________ expect a rich and varied social life.
Date: 2015-12-18; view: 891