C. Write five pairs of words to complete these sentences.
1. Father paid by _____ for his new _____ suit.
2. The _____ fell overboard swam to a nearby _____.
3. Talking _____ is not _____ in the reading room of the library
4. Racing was difficult because the grass on the _____ was long and _____.
5. Not far from the sandy _____ grew a clump of _____ trees.
17. Read the questions below and fill in with the correct answer.
Example:Is the top of the mountain a peek or a peak? - The correct is peak
1. Does a dog have a tail or a tale? _______
2. Which are surrounded by water, aislesorisles? _______
3. If you were sad, would you shed tears or tiers? _______
4. Would a telephone wring or ring? _______
5. I one or won a CD player in the contest. _______
6. Thats the best movie Cathy had ever scene or seen. _______
7. The meeting was so long, I was board or bored. _______
8. Whats your favourite breakfast serial or cereal? _______
9. The kings rain or reign lasted 30 years. _______
10. I couldnt bear or bare to sit through that play again. _______
11. Despite all of our yelling, he still couldnt hear or here us. _______
12. The rose or rows is the only flower Paula liked. _______
13. Do windows have pains or panes? _______
14. We missed or mist our train by 30 minutes. _______
Activity 18. Spelling Bee
Fill in the blanks in each sentence with two or three words that have the same sound but different spelling and different meanings. The number of blanks equals the number of letters in the missing word.
four for fore
suns rays sons raise
so sew sow
1. Our team won one game and lost three games.
2. The . golfers watched the ball when they
heard someone shout . !
3. Each player .. the ball . the hoop at least once.
4. As we approached the coast we could the .
5. Anna had .. many things to on her new machine
that she had no time to any seeds in the garden.
6. At the airport the guide said, Come this so they can
.. your luggage." 7. We had to . in line until they determined the .. of
8. We . the boat to the dock so it wouldn't go out
when the . came in.
9. Unfortunately, we did put a very good . in
the rope, and it came unfastened.
10. The people on the safari .. that a . of elephants
was headed their way.
11. If you sit . very quietly, you can . the wind
blowing through the trees.
12. The man in the coat . the notice to me.
13. We . on horseback through the tall grass until we
came to the . that led to the town.
14. Everything looked so familiar; it was as if we had .
that .. before.
15. We went to where they were selling boats, and . . boats had a sign
on them that said . .
16. The students .. in their notebooks the sentences that they had learned
by . .
17. The wind . the rain clouds away, leaving a clear . sky.
18. The father said, I will sit in the shade out of the hot . . while
my . .. the roof on the house.
Complete this crossword with phonetic spelling of these verbs.