telegram/ cable / wire, n
express / regular / reply ~
local / out of town / foreign ~
registed / insured / restante ~
official / personal ~
plain / illustrated ~
stick /paste ~
(un) stamped ~
forward the ~
~ a package
by recorded delivery
pay telephone rental
pay electricity bills
cash a money order
fill in, v
drop a letter into ~
How much is a letter to ... ? What's the weight limit? I'd like to have a return receipt.
Types of mail
delivery of letters / parcels
selling of postage stamps
payment of weekly pensions / license
wrapping and packing service
public / fax / E-mail / telephone service
Stamps, Postcards, Stamped Envelopes
office / public / private ~
mobile / cordless ~
ordinary / urgent / emergency ~
local / trunk / overseas ~
give / make / accept ~
ring (up), v
ring back, v
leave the message
number unobtainable ~
hang on, v
hold the line
be on the phone
Subscriber Trunk Dialling (STD), an automatic system which allows you to make trunk (long distance) call easily and cheaply. Cheap time call - you get the largest discount after 11 p.m. at night and on weekends.
Telephone services in Britain: numbers to dial
100 - Operator: she will help you connect the call if you can't do it yourself.
192 - Directory Enquires: if you're looking for a number.
8081 - Speaking Clock: it will tell you the time (this number may be different in different towns).
999 - Emergencies: if you want to call Fire Brigade, Police or Ambulance.
Fill in the missing word from the box.
1. Another word for the post is the ...
2. Each letter or postcard must have a ...
3. The man who delivers letters is the ...
4. Putting your name at the end of a letter is called ...
5. The name you put there is your ...
6. Before mailing the letter you must put (enclose) it into an ...
7. Then you put the letter in a ...
8. The place where the postman delivers your private mail is the ...
9. Big firms often have a P.O.B. That's a ...
1. When you make a telephone-call you lift the ...
2. Then you...
3. If you don't know the number you look it up in the …
4. When you can't find it there you can dial...
5. Making a call to a place far away is called a ...