Lecture 10. Basic translation devices
1. What are basic translation devices?
The basic translation devices are partitioning, integration, transposition, replacement, addition, omission and antonymous translation.
2. What is partitioning and integration? Define them and give examples. Describe transposition as a variety of inner partitioning.
Partitioning is either replacing in translation of a source sentence by two or more target ones or converting a simple source sentence into a compound or complex target one. Inner partitioning Ц is conversion of a simple sentence into a compound or complex one. Outer partitioning Ц is division of a sentence into 2 or more
Example: inner partitioning is used when trans-g E verbal complex into U: Come along and see me play one evening Ц приходь до мене коли-небудь увечер≥ Ц побачиш, €к € граю
Integration is the opposite of partitioning; it implies combining 2 or source sentences into one target sentence.
Example: ћати любить однаково ус≥х своњх д≥тей. якщо хтось з них покидаЇ р≥дну дом≥вку Ц починаЇ сумувати. Mother loves all her children equally and misses them when they have to leave home.
Transposition is a peculiar variety of inner partitioning in translation meaning a change in the order of the target sentence syntactic elements (Subject, Predicate, Object etc.) as compared with that of the source sentence dictated either by peculiarities of the target language syntax or by the communication intent.
3. What is replacement? Define it. What are basic types of replacement in practical translation? Give examples.
Replacement is any change in the target text at the morphological, lexical and syntactic levels of the language when the elements of certain source paradigms are replaced by different elements of target paradigms. The types of replacement are:
1) replacement of Noun Number and Verb Tense and Voice Paradigm, e.g. replacing Singular Form by Plural and vice versa; replacement of Active Voice by Passive; replacement of future by Present, Past by Present, etc
2) replacement of Parts of Speech (the most common is replacing Ukrainian Nouns by English Verbs when translating into English, and replacement of English УNomina agentisФ by Ukrainian Verbs)
3) replacement in translation of a negative statement by an affirmative one (antonymous translation).
4. What is addition? Give definition and examples.
Addition is a translation device intended for the compensation of structural elements implicitly present in the source text or paradigm forms missing in the target text.
5. What is omission? Give examples of Ukrainian-English translation.
Omission is reduction of the elements of the source text considered redundant from the viewpoint of the target language structural patterns and stylistic.
Date: 2014-12-29; view: 3372