1. Why do mass media become part of any contemporary society?
2. What part do mass media play in the life of society?
3. Why does TV dominate the lives of the most families?
4. What is a forum?
5. What kind of programs attracts vast audiences?
6. How do mass media stimulate science and" progress?
7. Why are the people annoyed by TV commercials?
8. How can mass media raise the cultural level of the people?
Choose the right answer
1. Mass media
a) do not play any part in the society;
b) are only source of entertainment;
c) can't change the people's views on the events;
d) play a very important part in our life.
a) doesn't play any role in our life;
b) doesn't enrich the people's knowledge;
c)dominates the life of the family most of the time programs;
d) always tell lies.
3. Very often the firms and joint ventures sponsor shows
a) to collect money for charity;
b) because they have large sums of money;
c) just for fun ;
d) to give the common people a chance to make a fortune.
a) always tells the true facts;
b) is a 100 % misleading;
c) annoys the general public;
d) on TV is cheap.
5. It would be fair to say mass media
a) is of minor importance in this country;
b) can't educate people;
c) try to raise the cultural level of people;
d) don't keep people aware of what is happening in the world around us.
4. Do you agree or not? Comment on the following statements
1. Mass media is an integral part of our everyday - life.
2. TV dominates the life of the family most of the time.
3. TV is just only a piece of furniture.
4. Commercials on TV are shown just for fun.
5. Mass media form and develop the people's artistic taste.
6. Mass media inform, educate and entertain people.
7. Most of the people can't do without a daily newspaper.
8. The intellectual programs are the best way to educate oneself.
9. Mass media stimulate science and progress.
10. The main task of mass media is to raise the cultural level of the people.
5. Role play. At the newsagent's you are going to buy some newspapers for entertainment and some serious ones. You ask for advice
IS TELEVISION A BLESSIN OR A CURSE AND A TIME WASTER?
Read the text
1. It goes without saying that television is one of the greatest inventions of our century. With the help of TV people are able to see the far away planets and even enjoy a direct broadcast from the space. Television makes it possible to watch the splitting of the atom, the birth of life, the volcano eruptions and even the earthquakes.
2. Ask a child, a teenager or an adult if he can do without TV and he will honestly be surprised at the question. Everyone seems to have a favorite daily or weekly chat show, serial, soap opera or at least a news program. I personally consider it to be a wonderful way to relax and to switch off from every day problems. So very often I indulge myself to watching a sitcom or a show. 3.It's ridiculous to deny that a witty comedy can improve your mood, if you are upset or exhausted, because laughter has a similar effect to physical exercise: it improves your state of mind and affects the entire well being. Besides, it's the safest way to get an adrenaline buzz. It's useless to deny that education benefits greatly from television. It stirs - the attention of a student and brings fun and excitement into school routine. Frankly speaking I would have never learned so much about Great Britain or America but for the videos we have watched on TV. A single panel-game or a quiz show will make memorizing ten times more efficient and enjoyable. So TV is a blessing at school.
4. Of course every great invention can be misused. Some people are hooked on cartoons, feature films, thrillers, westerns, or pop music shows. They wouldn't miss their favorite chat shows or football matches for anything in the world. Such people must remember that one can get addicted to TV, as it is a habit-forming drug impossible to resist. Some of us develop such a taste for it that they schedule their daily routine around the TV. Some people stop participating in any sports activities. Others stop going out to socialize with friends and relatives. TV can seriously interfere with homework too. I personally disapprove of such TV maniacs. To my mind they are really wasting their lives for nuts.
5. Doctors keep reminding us that constant viewing inevitably degrades the eyesight. Sitting slows down blood circulation and turns you either into a couch potato or a misfit. And in this case television really becomes a curse and a real disaster.
6. Researchers nowadays are very concerned about the nervous system of the teenagers. They say that a child is being exposed to so much violence, gore and crime that he is unable to differentiate between good and evil. Therefore he becomes aggressive, abusive and doesn't fit the social norms. Psychologists say that such kids are more likely to kick their classmates or even commit a crime.
7. In this respect I'd like to say that it is rather the fault of society than .television. And besides, watching thrillers or horror films can provide a person with the knowledge of inevitable penalty or punishment. He learns that a criminal is doomed to be punished for burglary, arson, drug trafficking or bank lifting. And in this case a second hand experience is definitely better than a real one. Thus TV upgrades our morals.
8. So, I'm more likely to conclude that television is a real blessing for humanity. Even the busiest housewives drop their household chores to watch their soap operas. Businessmen freeze in front of the telly to learn the stock exchange news. Little toddlers crawl out of their beds at five in the morning to watch the cartoons. TV gives their parents a chance for a proper sleep at the weekends. Spinsters wipe the tears watching sentimental dramas about unhappy lovers. Millions of disabled and elderly people forget their misery and pain if front of the TV screen. Cooking, cleaning, mending and repairing become much more enjoyable thanks to this magic box. Try to eliminate television from their lives and they'll tear you to pieces!
9. In conclusion I'd like to say that TV viewers always complain about adverts. However, witty and bright, they may be they are definitely the greatest time wasters. Almost half of the viewing time is wasted on commercials. Pretty often my patience snaps and I turn off the TV set without learning who murdered the old lady or hijacked the plane. That's when I really start hating TV and the time I waste on it.
WORDS AND EXPRESSIONS
Panel game – amusement indoor game which is broadcasted nationwide with stakes made in every district and prizes distributed all over the country.
Waste the life for nuts– to waste one's time.
Couch potato– someone who spends a lot of time sitting and watching television.