1. Why education over the Web can become a cooperative enterprise friendly to teachers and students alike?
2. Why can universities exchange experiences with distant educational institutions be useful?
3. What means can nowadays help teachers and students explore the world?
4. What is the difference between the vision of the traditional lifelong learning and the online learning?
7. Translate the following words and word-combinations into Ukrainian:
Quite a few ways; to process; central processing unit; to interpret; to follow; chips; circuits; remarkable; space; mainframe; separate unit; data-processing department; thin wafer; to plug into the board; silicon; frequently; electricity flows; miniaturization.
8. Translate the following sentences into Ukrainian paying attention to the Infinitive Constructions:
She felt somebody look at her. 2. We heard him come in and close the door behind him. 3. Have you ever seen Ulanova dance? 4. She watched the boy buy a newspaper, open it, look it through and throw it away. 5. Nobody noticed her leave the room. 6. I heard him mention my sisterís mane. 7. Many people like to watch the sun rise. 8. She saw her son fall. 9. He likes to watch his son play in the garden. 10. The students heard the bell ring. 11. You canít make me believe that all these stories are true. 12. In spite of bad weather the instructor made the sportsmen continue their training.
9. Translate into Ukrainian paying attention to the Infinitive Constructions:
He wanted us to visit the arts exhibition. 2. I expect you to tell me everything. 3. I suppose her to be about 50. 4. The teacher does not consider him to be a good student. 5. Te engineer expected to work to be done in time. 6. We expect you to show good results. 7. We know him to have graduated from the institute two years ago. 8. Everybody knows him to be writing a new book. 10. We know the cybernetics to be an important branch of modern technology. 11. W thought him to have taken part in their experiment.
Read the passage below.
Computer scientists, cognitive psychologists, education experts and professors are working on projects that can change the way teachers teach and students learn. According to these scientists, successful education is to develop along seven topic principles:
- Simulating real-life environments (e.g., a stock market, a hospital, a shop)
- Enabling self-paced learning
- Lowering intimidation factor (e.g., fear of looking stupid)
- Reducing behavioural problems in the classroom
- Increasing one-to-one interaction
- Providing access to more information
- Implementing "situated learning"
11. Do the teaching methods of the Virtual College correspond to the above-mentioned principles? Prove your statement.
12. Retell the passage paying special attention to the new learning merits. Continue it beginning your talk with the word "However... " Expose your ideas about demerits of such instruction.
New Ways to Learn
In the information economy knowledge is power. However, traditional teaching is expensive and slow. New technologies make learning more productive.
In companies centralized training is now giving way to distributed, "just-in-time" learning. The result is increased flexibility, better retention and lower costs. In schools and colleges students surf the Internet, use Lotus Notes, exchange e-mail, use multimedia CD-ROMs and perform simulations. These techniques break down barriers, customize instruction and make education more cost-effective.
13. Complete the sentences with the prepositions given below at, to with, from, on, out, of
1.Due to Web sites you can benefit... the information obtained.
2.Online libraries could provide ... supplementary information for schools.
3.Internet competitions among universities might become possible ... the Web.
4.New laboratory is provided ... everything necessary to carry ... research.
5.Being at the forefront of technological innovations universities were the first to turn ... the Web.
6.Students can answer ... assignments of the Web course.
7.The departments ... computer science were founded at universities.
8.Web courses are available to remote students ... any time.
14. In the texts you have read there were preposition since, during, for which sometimes are quite confusing. Here are some useful rules to help you.
Since is used to show the starting point of an action, to say when something started. It is often used with the Present Perfect tense. Example: I have studied English since 1981.
For is used to indicate the duration of an action (how long something has gone on).
Example: I have studied English for eight years.
During is used to indicate the period in which an action occurs.