Match the first part of the sentence (1-7) with the second one (A-G).
1. The disk drive uses a wheel and axle to turn the disk or a system …..
2. By choosing the size of the gears, the speed and direction of .….
3. Gears, along with other simple machines, make up many .….
4. The transmission uses gears, which are a form of wheel .....
5. Machines that use a combination of two or more …..
6. The whole engine is held together by threaded bolts .....
7. The doorknob is a wheel and axle system that transfers …..
i. ….. of the machines you use every day.
ii. ….. simple machines are called complex machines.
iii. ….. which are a form of inclined plane.
iv. ….. of levers to position the heads that read and write the data on the disk.
v. ….. the force applied by a person to a system of levers.
vi. ….. and axle with specially shaped teeth on the outside of the wheels.
vii. ….. the rotation of the axles can be controlled.
7. Fill in the gaps with the proper item from the text:
1. A bicycle is actually a combination of several of basic _______ machines.
a) small b) large c) simple d) complex
2. Two gears fit together and transfer force and power from one gear _______ to another.
a) engine b) shaft c) mechanism d) motor
3. A computer, which is thought of as an _______ device, has a cooling fan.
a) electronic b) mechanical c) automated d) manual
4. A pair of scissors is a pair of pliers with _______ as the cutting edge.
a) pulleys b) axles c) wedges d) levers
5. The _______ contains many levers, wheels and axles, and pulleys.
a) computer b) shaft c) plane d) engine
6. Escalators and elevators use combinations of simple _______.
a) devices b) machines c) mechanisms d) engines
7. _______ can do all kinds of jobs today and make our lives easier in many ways.
a) people b) animals c) machines d) robots
8. Read the clues and complete the crossword:
A bar which turns or around which a belt or wheel turns, to pass on power or movement, especially from an engine to something driven by the engine.
A road vehicle with usually four wheels which is driven by a motor and used as a means of travel for a small number of people.
A metal case containing the gears of a vehicle.
An instrument or apparatus which uses power, such as electricity, to perform work.
A piece of equipment intended for a particular purpose.
A piece of machinery with moving parts which changes power from steam, electricity, oil, etc., into movement.
The action of rotating; one complete turn round a fixed point.
A machine that changes power, especially electrical power, into movement and is used for working other machines.
The point on which a bar turns, balances or is supported in lifting or moving something.
An apparatus, especially one consisting of a set of toothed wheels, that allows power to be passed from one part of a machine to another so as to control the power, speed or direction of movement.
A two-wheeled vehicle which one rides by pushing its pedals with the feet.
9. Before- listening:
1. Draw a bicycle.
2. How many parts does your bike have?
3. Can it work?
4. Is there a person on it?
5. Compare a picture with other students.
10. Listen to Recording 1 and answer the questions:
1. Was the explanation correct for you?
2. Do you agree with the presenter’s views about men and women?
11. Listen to Recording 2 and answer the questions:
1. How many people take part in the conversation?
2. Whose bike has more parts?
3. Whose bike could work?
12. After-listening: choose a word in each line that names a part of a bicycle:
1. heels, wheels, feels, peels
2. bangle, handle, handlebar, mangle
3. peddle, cradle, treadle, saddle
4. main, chain, stain, plain
5. medals, metals, pedals, sandals
6. crossbar, barcode, crossroad, crossover
13. Work in small groups. Imagine that you are working as an engineer and soon you are going to take a group of foreign visitors around your enterprise. Think what you will tell them about different complex machines in the shops. Be ready for the questions the delegation members may ask you during their visit (student A – an engineer, students B, C, D – foreign visitors).
14. Find some information in the Internet about a new, improved model of a car. Compare the original model and the new one. Which features are different? Is the new model better? Discuss in pairs.
15. What will be the car of the future to your mind? Write a paragraph (60 – 80 words) to describe:
- interior and exterior car parts
- performance and technical specifications.
GRAMMAR IN USE
These tasks can help you to practise grammar topic “The Modals: Permission - Obligation” (See Appendix 1 p. 230 – 234) and do the following exercises.