A higher price, a lower price, a longer pencil, a shorter pencil, a more expensive overcoat, a cheaper overcoat, a colder day, a warmer day, a kinder man, a lighter room, a darker room, a prettier girl, a smaller garden, a larger garden, fresher air, fatter meat, a worse dress, a better dress. [4.ð. 84 ]
Use the adjectives (adverbs) in brackets in the suitable degrees of comparison.
1. The text of lesson 5 is (interesting) than this one. 2. I live far from the studio but my friend lives (far). 3. This sculpture group is the (beautiful) in the collection. 4. I get up early, but my grandma gets up (early). 5. I have (much) work therefore I have (little) free time than you. 6. Which is the (famous) Russian Picture Gallery? 7. This book on contemporary Art is (good) than the one you gave me last time. 8. I like summer (well) of all because it is the (warm) season. 9. In our group Oleg draws (bad) of all. 10. The Moscow State University building is the (high) in the city. [9.ð. 69 ]
Open the brackets using the adjectives in the suitable form.
1. This man is (tall) than that one. 2. Asia is (large) than Australia. 3. The Volga is (short) than the Mississippi. 4. Which building is the (high) in Moscow? 5. Mary is a (good) student than Lucy. 6. The Alps are (high) than the Urals. 7. This garden is the (beautiful) in our town. 8. She speaks Italian (good) than English. 9. Is the world “newspaper” (long) than the word “book”? 10. The Thames is (short) than the Volga. 11. The Arctic Ocean is (cold) than the Indian Ocean. 12. Chinese is (difficult) than English. 13. Spanish is (easy) than German. 14. She is not so (busy) as I am. 15. It is as (cold) today as it was yesterday. 16. She is not so (fond) of sports as my brother is. 17. Today the weather is (cold) than it was yesterday. 18. This book is (interesting) of all I have read this year. 19. January is the (cold) month of the year. 20. My sister speaks English (bad) than I do. 21. Which is the (hot) month of the year? 22. Which is the (beautiful) place in this part of the country? 23. This nice-looking girl is the (good) student in our group. [4.ð. 89]
Complete the following sentences with the necessary adverbs.
1. It’s snowing ……….. . a.well
2. Your mark is bad. You did the test …….. . b.hard
3. He came home ……. ,at one o’clock in the morning. c.heavily
4. Didn’t eat too ……. .It’s bad for you. d.quickly
5. Sarah studies …… to pass her exam. e.late
6. Who gets up ……, has a long day. f.high
7. I slept …… this night and I feel …… g.carefully
this morning h.fast
8. He raised the flag ….. on the tower. i.slowly
9. Open the window …… not to break it. j.quietly
10. Modern trains go ……. . k.badly
11. Speak ….. , please. They don’t understand you. l.early
12. She sat …. in the corner like a mouse. m.fluently