1. The Certificate in English for Business Communication 1) (offer) since June 1995.
2. A new, revised version of the examination 2) (introduce) in June 1998.
3. The examination can 3) (take) in over 200 centres in 40 countries throughout the world.
4. In order to 4) (accept) as an Examination Centre, Institutions must 5) (complete) a Centre Registration form.
5. The four papers 6) (test) students’ communication skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing.
6. It is not necessary for the papers 7) (take) in any particular order.
7. Each paper 8) (last) approximately ninety minutes.
8. Monolingual dictionaries can 9) (use) for the Reading and Writing papers.
9. Results 10 (send) out to candidates eight weeks after the last examination.
10. A number of changes to the examination 11) (introduce) in the near future.
11. A full list of changes 12) (supply) on request.
Ex. 19.Use the correct passive forms of the verbs in brackets.
1. Mermaids 1) _____ (see) by sailors for centuries. The basis of all mermaid myths 2) _____ (suppose) to be a creature called a Manatee: a kind of walrus! Mermaids used 3) _____ (show) in funfairs until recently. It all began in 1817 when “mermaid” 4) _____ (buy) for $6000 by a sailor in the South Pacific. She 5) _____ (sell) eventually to the great circus owner Barnum. She 6) _____ (exhibit) in 1842 as “The Fujee Merinid”. It 7) _____ (say) that she earned Barnum $1000 a week! The thousands who saw this mermaid 8) _____ (must disappoint). She cleverly 9) _____ (make) by a Japanese fisherman. A monkey’s head delicately 10) _____ (sew) to the tail of a large salmon. The job so skillfully 11) _____ (do) that the join between the fish and the monkey was invisible. Real imagination must 12) _____ (require) to see this revolting creature as a beautiful mermaid combing her golden hair.
2. It’s hard for us to imagine what 1) _____ (include) in the European diet before America 2) _____ (discover) by Columbus in 1942. So many ingredients which today 3) _____ (grow) all over the world 4) _____ (not to know) to medieval Europeans. Potatoes, tomatoes, maize and chocolate 5) _____ (import) all originally from the New World. Until then, meals 6) _____ (prepare) using ingredients native to Europe, such as root vegetables. Of course, spices such as pepper 7) _____ (trade) and added to food for centuries. When the potato first 8) _____ (introduce) it was surprisingly unpopular. It 9) _____ (consider) to be poisonous and it took a long time to become common.
Ex. 20.Put the verbs in the Passive or Active voice.
Yesterday it … (to announce) by the local authority that it … (to agree) that a new stadium can … (to build) by Earlsdow Rangers Football Club on the outskirts of the city. A great deal of research … (to do) by the club and a suitable site … (to find). Problems concerning transport to and from the site seem … (to solve) – a new railway station and train service are going … (to include) in the plans. Environmental issues and the opinions of local residents also had to … (to consider) and the local residents say that they are not opposed to the stadium being built. Work … (to start) next year and it should … (to complete) within 18 months. A special match to celebrate the opening of the stadium … (to plan) and details of this … (to give) when they … (to finalize).
Ex. 21.Put the verbs in the correct form: Active or Passive.
1. Our firm (inform) today that the negotiations with the representatives of the company (take place) in a week. 2. This is the first time that his paintings (exhibit) by the gallery. 3. None of them knew when the results (announce). 4. By the time Helen returned from holiday her husband (finish) decorating the flat. 5. I don’t have my car today because it (repair). It (be) ready in two days. 6. She was only 25 but she (teach) at the University for three years already. 7. My younger brother is still a teenager. He always (get) into trouble. 8. The film (be) a success so the cast (select) very carefully. 9. I (feel) a bit better after (take) the medicine. 10. The President (send) many good wishes for the jubilee yesterday. 11. This broken glass will have to (pick up) or the children mustn’t (allow) to come anywhere near this room. 12. As our furniture (deliver) on Monday morning I’ll have to stay at home to check that it (not to damage) during transit.
Ex. 22.Put the verbs in the correct form: Active or Passive.
1. On 9th March 1929, the body of 31 year-old Isidor Fink (1) _______ (find) in the back room of the laundry, he (2) _______ (own) on Fifth Avenue, New York. Fink (3) _______ (be) an immigrant who (4) _______ (have) very few friends. He (5) _______ (make) the laundry into a kind of fortress: it (6) _______ (equip) with the best locks money could buy and the windows (7) _______ (fit) with heavy iron bars. When finally he (8) _______ (find) by the police, his body (9) _______ (be) ten metres from the doorway, with two bullet holes in his chest. There (10) ______ (be) no gun in the room and there (11) _______ (be) money in both Fink’s pocket and in his cash register. But what (12) _______ (make) the case so strange (13) _______ (be) that the room (14) _______ (lock) and (15) _______ (bolt) from the inside.
2.Mr. Robinson, whose home (1) ______ (burgle) last week, (2) _______ (interview) by our reporter. “We (3) _______ (horrify) to find out that we (4) _______ (burgle). Some valuables (5) _______ (insure). I (6) _______ (know) that I stupidly (7) _______ (leave) a window open and we should (8) _______ (ask) our neighbours to keep an eye on the house while we (9) _______ (be) away. All our locks (10) _______ (have to change) and the alarm (11) _______ (install). It (12) _______ (use) to be a really safe area. A watch scheme (13) _______ (organize) in our neighbourhood. It (14) _______ (be) a terrible invasion of our privacy.”
Ex. 23. Put the verbs in the correct form: Active or Passive. Describe any curious event in your life using tenses in active and passive voice.
My wedding _______ (arrange) for mouths. I _______ (know) exactly what I _______ want) for that special day. I ________ (ask) the caterers give me a menu and got to provide me with samples so that I could _______ (be sure) we _______ (have) the best food. I also _______ (want) to have a string quartet play classical music and I _______ (arrange) that, too. My dress _______ (made) specially and I _______ (tell) the dressmaker to put silver thread in it. Finally, the big day _______ (arrive). My dress _______ (deliver) in the morning, but by ten it still _______ (arrive). They _______ (call) me and said it _______ (damage)! I was furious! I _______ (contact) my lawyer to call to get my money back.