Exercise 7. It is sometimes (but not always) possible to make adjectives from nouns by putting -ful or -less on the end, e.g. 'careful' means 'with care', 'careless' means 'without care'. Make a suitable adjective from the noun at the end of each sentence below by adding -ful or -less to the end.
1. Thank you for the books. They will be very ______ for my studies. (use)
2. This pen won't write at all. It's completely ______. (use)
3. Thanks to modern technology, a visit to the dentist is now often quite ______. (pain)
4. The policeman held my arms tightly behind my back. It was very ______. (pain)
5. The government is trying to help ______ families. (home)
6. Thank you for all you've done. You've been very ______. (help)
7. I'm very, very tired. I had a ______night last night. (sleep)
8. We are ______ that the missing child will soon be found. (hope)
9. What is this food? It has no taste. It's ______. (taste)
Exercise 8. We can make adjectives from 'hour', 'day', 'week', 'fortnight' (two weeks), 'month' and 'year' by adding -ly to the end. Put each of the following words in its correct place in the sentences below.
hourly daily weekly fortnightly monthly yearly
1. The most famous British _____ newspaper is The Times. 2. Time is an American _____ news magazine. I buy it every Tuesday. 3. Her salary is £12,000 a year and she receives a _____ increase every September. 4. He could possibly die in 24 hours. The doctors are giving him _____ tests to check his condition. 5. She goes to see her parents every two weeks. They always look forward to these _____ visits. 6. I haven’t yet received my _____ salary cheque for February.
Exercise 9. Supply the right adjectival forms, using such suffixes (See APPENDIX B) as:
1. I’m attracted by these schemes. I find them very attractive. 2. A class of forty can be managed. It’s just about ______. 3. I know I hesitated before agreeing. I couldn’t help being ______. 4. I don’t know where you find all that energy. You’re awfully ______. 5. This piece of furniture was made in the reign of the queen Victoria. It’s ______. 6. I don’t know how to describe the colour of the sky. It’s almost red, sort of ______. 7. I’ve never met anyone who boasts as she does. She’s extremely ______. 8. What level of radiation can be permitted? How mush radiation is ______? 9. The story is full of humour. I’ve rarely read anything that’s so ______.
Exercise 10. Complete the following sentences with the appropriate adjectives made by adding suffixes -ed, -ful, -ent, -ant, -able to the noun or to the verb. (See APPENDIX B).
Example: I need paper with lines for it.
Could you get me some lined paper, please?
1. Mrs Bosch had stripes on her skirt. She was wearing a ______ blouse to match. 2. This blouse has short sleeves, but I prefer a long ______ one. 3. Give me all the details, I need a______ description. 4. There were crowds of people in the streets. The streets were ______. 5. She was in a hurry, that's why we had a ______ talk. 6. I doubt if he was right. His story is very ______. 7. She always cheers other people up. She is such a ______ person herself. 8. Ann is such a beauty. She resembles her ______ mother. 9. This show differs from all the other shows I've seen this year. It's so ______. 10. Mr Bogart has a lot of confidence in all he says and does. He is such a ______ person. 11. She likes independence. She is so ______. 12. My friend enjoys driving; he found it an ______ experience. 13. You can rely on Peter, he is such a ______ person. 14. I wish I could agree with you, but it's difficult to be ______. 15. He helped them. Hå was very ________. 16. Children depend on their parents. They are ________ on their parents. 17. I'm going to wash my new dress. I hope it’s ________.
Exercise 11. Find the opposites for the following words using the prefixes given. (See APPENDIX A).
Exercise 13. Supply the right adjectival forms using such negative prefixes as: un-, in-, il-, im-, dis-, ir- and pre-, which doesn’t create opposites. (See APPENDIX A).
1. The coast line is not regular in shape. It is quite irregular. 2.This arrangement isn't strictly legal. Some people would regard it as ______. 3. It is not possible. Don't ask me to do the ________. 4. Such a situation is barely imaginable. It's quite ________. 5. Bob's not very capable. He's ______ of making sound decisions. 6. I doubt she is literate. She can't read or write. She is an ______ woman. 7. This scheme isn’t very practical. In fact, it’s quite ______. 8. I can’t trust him. He is not always honest. He is said to be ______. 9. Sometimes she doesn’t behave in a responsible manner. She is quite ______. 10. The fish hasn’t been cooked enough. It is ______. 11. This dates before the war. It is ______.