| Geographical skills may be extended into the use of digital mapping and GIS. The list illustrates how skills gained using more traditional methods may be transferred to digital mapping and GIS.
| Use an extended geographical vocabulary
- New vocabulary includes ICT keywords (such as raster and vector) and specific GIS terms
| Select and use appropriate fieldwork techniques and instruments
- Tablets or smartphones may be used to enter data directly in the field for transfer to GIS;
- Handheld GPS systems are now accurate enough to collect location information for transfer to GIS;
- Weather monitors and environmental data loggers may collect information for transfer to GIS.
| Use maps and plans at a range of scales, including Ordnance Survey 1:25,000 and 1:50,000 maps
- Ordnance Survey digital map data provides the basis for vector and raster mapping.
| Select and use secondary sources of evidence: aerial photographs, satellite images, ICT sources
- Aerial photographs and satellite images may be used in digital mapping and GIS;
- Ground level digital photographs may be linked to ‘hotspots’ on a map.
| Draw maps and plans at a variety of scales, using symbols, keys and scales...
| GIS explores raster and vector maps:
- Draw and edit maps and plans in a GIS editor;
- Import a variety of digital maps and plans in different formats;
- Add information to maps and plans from a set of data;
- Select separate vector map layers;
- Zoom in and out at different scales and pan around an enlarged map;
- Measure distances (in a straight line or along a feature), areas or perimeters accurately; Understand geo-referencing
- Select and use appropriate graphical techniques to present evidence on maps and diagrams including the use of ICT.
| Present data at points, lines and areas (closed polygons) on maps using the functions of a GI.
- Areas: Choropleth and thematic maps.
- Lines: Flow lines of traffic or journeys by people.
- Points: Diagrams (bar charts, pie charts, divided pie charts, proportional circles and pie charts) at places on the maps
- Add pictures and notes at locations on the maps.