Used to do smth/ would / be (get) used to doing smth
Dave a few years ago
Dave used to work in a factory. Now he works in a supermarket.
Dave used to work in a factory = he worked in a factory before but he doesnít work there now:
Exercise 1. Practise after the speaker. Translate the sentences into Ukrainian.
1. When I was a child, I used to like chocolate.
2. I used to read a lot of books but I donít read much these days.
3. Liz has got short hair now but it used to be very long.
4. They used to live in the same street as us, so we often used to see them. But we donít see them very often these days.
5. Ann used to have a piano but she sold it a few years ago.
6. When I was a child I didnít use to like tomatoes.
7. Where did you use to live before you came here?
& For talking about a present habit, use USUALLY:
e.g. We usually eat (NOT
use to eat) around six.
8. I used to play tennis. These days I play golf. (not ĎI use to play golfí)
9. We usually get up early. (not ĎWe use to get up early.)
Exercise 2. Listen to the conversation. When Juliaís grandma was young, did she have:
a) a car b) a radio c) a TV?
Exercise 3. Read the conversation, underline all the examples of used to.
Julia: What was life like in the village, when you were young, grandma?
Grandma: Oh, it was very different.
Julia: What did you use to do in the evenings?
Grandma: We used to sit and chat, or listen to the radio.
Julia: Did you use to watch television?
Grandma: No, we didnít have a television. And we didnít have a car.
Grandma: No, so we didnít use to live the village very often.
Exercise 4. Read the rules below. Choose the correct words in the rule and complete the examples.
& We use used to for past / present / future habits or situations that are now the same / different.
My dad _______________________ smoke, but he doesnít now.
& The form of used to is the same for all persons.
My parents _______________________ live in London.
I __________________ have a DVD player.
_________ you ___________ walk to school? Yes, I did. / No, I didnít.
Where ____________ Danny ___________ live?
& remember the rule!
We use used to + infinitive to describe past situations or habits that are different now.
I used to live abroad. (for a long time in the past but not now)
I used to work in a newspaper shop at weekends. (regularly in the past but not now)
|| Question form
| Sally used to live in Scotland.
|| Sally didnít use to live in England
|| Did Sally use to live in Ireland?
Exercise 5. Listen and repeat the sentences. How is the Ďsí pronounced in used to : /s/ or /z/? How is to pronounced? Transcribe and intone the sentences.
1 We used to sit and chat.
2 We didnít use to leave the village very often.
3 Did you use to watch television?
Exercise 6. Complete the sentences with the affirmative, negative or interrogative form of used to and the verbs in the box.
be do like live speak work
1. My sister __________ this town, but she hates it now.
2. Where _______ she _________, before she lived in London?
3. She ______ any exercise, but now she goes running every day.
4. She ______ any Italian, but now sheís almost fluent.
5. My mum ______ in a bank, but sheís unemployed now.
6. _____ she _______ a waitress before she became an actress?
Exercise 7. Make questions. Use the prompts and phrases in the box and used to.
when it was your birthday?
when you were a child?
before they got married? where you could play?
before you started school? when you got up?
before you went to bed? at the weekend?
1 you / eat vegetables
Did you use to eat vegetables when you were a child?
2 What / your grandparents / give you
3 there / be / a park / near your house
4 Where / your parents / live
5 you / watch TV / on Saturday mornings
6 Who / your family / visit
7 your mother / read to you
8 you / get up early
Exercise 8. Complete the sentences. Use the affirmative or negative form of used to and the verbs in brackets.
1. Mia used to go (go) to my school, but now she doesnít.
2. Aidan ______ (be) very tall, but now he is.
3. Ali _______ (work) in a factory, but she doesnít now.
4. We _______ (play) football at the weekend, but now we donít.
5. There _______ (be) a market every Friday, but now there isnít.
6. They _______ (wear) a uniform to school, but now they do.
7. Christopher _______ (drink) coffee, but now he does.
Exercise 9. Rewrite Victoriaís comments using used to or didnít use to as in the example.
1. Victoria used to work long hours.
A) Listen to a description of a ghost town. Why did it become a ghost town?
B) Listen again. Choose the correct words to complete the sentences about Fairview today.
1. It has / doesnít have a population of 2,000 now.
2. People work / donít work in the gold mines now.
3. People eat / donít eat in the saloon now.
4. People buy / donít buy snacks at the coffee shop.
5. Tourists visit / donít visit the town now.
6. People can / canít stay at the hotel now.
7. There is / isnít a road.
C) Rewrite the sentences in ex. 10 so that they are true about Fairview in the past. Use the affirmative or negative form of used to.
1 It used to have a population of 2,000.
Exercise 11. Work with a partner. Think about life in your country either 20, 50 or 100 years ago. Make notes using these headings. Then share your ideas with your groupmates
1 transport 3 entertainment 5 politics
2 work 4 education 6 food and drink
Date: 2015-02-16; view: 3428