UNIT 76. Names with and without the (1)
A. We do not use 'the' with names of people ('Ann', 'Ann Taylor' etc.). In the same way, we do not normally use 'the' with names of places. For example:
continents: Africa (not 'the Africa'), Europe, South America
countries: France (not 'the France'), Japan, Switzerland
states, regions etc.: Texas, Cornwall, Tuscany, Central Europe
islands: Corsica, Sicily, Bermuda
cities, towns etc.: Cairo, New York, Madrid
mountains: Everest, Etna, Kilimanjaro
But we use the in names with 'Republic', 'Kingdom', 'States' etc.:
the United States of America (the USA)
the United Kingdom (the UK)
the Dominican Republic
* We visited Canada and the United States.
B. When we use Mr/Mrs/Captain/Doctor etc. + a name, we do not use 'the'. So we say:
Mr Johnson/Doctor Johnson/Captain Johnson/President Johnson etc. (not 'the...')
Uncle Robert/Aunt Jane/Saint Catherine/Princess Anne etc. (not 'the...')
* We called the doctor. but We called Doctor Johnson. (not 'the Doctor Johnson')
We use mount (= mountain) and lake in the same way (without 'the'):
Mount Everest (not 'the...') Mount Etna Lake Superior Lake Constance
* They live near the lake. but They live near Lake Constance. (without 'the')
C. We use the with the names of oceans, seas, rivers and canals (see also Unit 77B):
the Atlantic (Ocean)
the Mediterranean (Sea)
the Red Sea
the Indian Ocean
the Channel (between France and Britain)
the Suez Canal
the (River) Amazon
the (River) Thames
D. We use the with plural names of people and places:
people: the Taylors (= the Taylor family), the Johnsons
countries: the Netherlands, the Philippines, the United States
groups of islands: the Canaries/the Canary Islands, the Bahamas, the British Isles
mountain ranges: the Rocky Mountains/the Rockies, the Andes, the Alps
* The highest mountain in the Alps is Mont Blanc. (not 'the Mont Blanc')
E. North/northern etc.
We say: the north (of France) but northern France (without 'the')
the south-east (of Spain) but south-eastern Spain
* Sweden is in northern Europe; Spain is in the south.
Also: the Middle East the Far East
You can also use north/south etc. + a place name (without 'the'):
North America West Africa South-East Spain
Note that on maps, the is not usually included in the name.
76.1 Put in the where necessary. Leave a space (-) if the sentence is already complete.
1. Who is - Doctor Johnson? (The sentence is complete without the.)
2. I was ill, so I went to see --- doctor.
3. --- President is the most powerful person in --- United States.
4. --- President Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.
5. Do you know --- Wilsons? They're a very nice couple.
6. Do you know --- Professor Brown's phone number?
76.2 Some of these sentences are correct, but some need the (perhaps more than once). Correct the sentences where necessary. Put 'RIGHT' if the sentence is already correct.
1. Everest was first climbed in 1953. _RIGHT_
2. Milan is in north of Italy. _the north of Italy._
3. Africa is much larger than Europe.
4. Last year I visited Mexico and United States.
5. South of England is warmer than north.
6. Portugal is in western Europe.
7. France and Britain are separated by Channel.
8. Jim has travelled a lot in Middle East.
9. Chicago is on Lake Michigan.
10. The highest mountain in Africa is Kilimanjaro (5,895 meters).
11. Next year we are going skiing in Swiss Alps.
12. United Kingdom consists of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
13. Seychelles are a group of islands in Indian Ocean.
14. River Volga flows into Caspian Sea.
76.3 Here are some geography questions. Choose the right answer from one of the boxes and write the if necessary. You do not need all the names in the boxes. Use an atlas if necessary.
continents: Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, North, America, South, America
countries: Canada, Denmark, Indonesia, Sweden, Thailand, United States
oceans and seas: Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Pacific, Black Sea, Mediterranean, Red Sea
mountains: Alps, Andes, Himalayas, Rockies, Urals
rivers and canals: Amazon, Rhine, Danube, Thames, Nile, Volga, Suez Canal, Panama Canal
1. What do you have to cross to travel from Europe to America? _The Atlantic_
2. Where is Argentina?
3. Which is the longest river in Africa?
4. Of which country is Stockholm the capital?
5. Of which country is Washington the capital?
6. What is the name of the mountain range in the west of North America?
7. What is the name of the sea between Africa and Europe?
8. Which is the smallest continent in the world?
9. What is the name of the ocean between America and Asia?
10. What is the name of the ocean between Africa and Australia?
11. Which river flows through London?
12. Which river flows through Vienna, Budapest and Belgrade?
13. Of which country is Bangkok the capital?
14. What joins the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans?
15. Which is the longest river in South America?
Date: 2016-03-03; view: 610