Task 11. Choose the correct answer.
1. What do palynologists study?
a) Spores c) Pollen
b) Spores and pollen d) Spores, dust and pollen
2. How long can pollen grains be used to solve crimes?
a) A week c) Hundreds of years
b) Thousands of years d) Millions of years
3. Which of these tools are used to identify pollen?
a) Light microscope
b) Scanning electron microscope (SEM)
c) Light and SEM microscope
d) All the above
4. Hay fever gets its name because most people are allergic to it.
a) True b) False
5. Which of the following use palynology as forensic evidence?
c) Fake prescription drugs
d) Faked or forged documents or artwork
e) All of the above
Task 12. Challenge question.
What’s the difference between finger prints and pollen prints?
A curriculum vitae is a written description of your work experience, educational background, and skills. Also called a CV, or simply a vitae, it is more detailed than a resume.
Task 1. Read John M. Smith’s CV and answer the questions.
1) How old is John M. Smith?
2) What nationality is he?
3) What is his marital status?
4) What academic degree does he have?
5) What spheres does he have skills in?
6) What functions did he perform when he took a post of Biological Research Assistant?
Task 2. Write your own CV using text in the exercise below.
| Name:John M. Smith
| Nationality: American
| Date of Birth: 1980, June 12
| Place of Birth: Washington DC, USA
| Sex: Male
| Marital status: Married
| Address: 123 Main Street – Washington DC, 12312 – (123) 123-1231 John.Smith@home.net
| EDUCATIONAL BACKGROUND:
Sep2002 - May 2006 Bachelor of Science in Biology, Chemistry Minor University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
| LAB EXPERIENCE:
Lab Assistant – University of Wisconsin Oshkosh – 2004 to 2005
· Assisted a Ph.D. of Agricultural Microbiology with collecting data on nitrogen fixation in corn and soybean plots.
· Charted plot data for further analysis and to be incorporated into a scholarly research paper for conference presentations.
| Cell Biology:Performed experiments consisting of pH gradients, cell function depending on the pH of different fluids and the procedure of electrophoresis.
| Genetics:Created genetic experiments using Drosophila melanogaster and their ability to mate with other flies producing mutations described by Gregor Mendel and other famous geneticists.
| Microbial Ecology:Conducted ecological testing of different microorganisms from aquatic and soil environments. Enrichment and isolation as well as detection and quantifications of microorganisms from the environment. Amplification of 16sRNA from community DNA using PCR and universal 16sRNA primers. Ribosomal database was used for further identifications.
| Immunology:Performed tests on immunoserums and antibodies produced from rabbits. The different tests used to observe antigens and antibodies; immunoassay, Western Blot, and Eliza.
| Organic Chemistry:Performed a study of nomenclature, preparations, reactions, and reaction mechanisms of functional groups of aliphatic and aromatic compounds.
| Biochemistry:Gained experience in the chemistry of major cellular constituents and their metabolism using a spectrophotometer to obtain the spectrums of different solutions.
| WORK EXPERIENCE:
| 1) New Industrial Food LabsOshkosh, WI
| Head Scientist, June 2005 – Present
| · Direct and lead a team of 12 undergraduate students
· Serve as liaison between organization and university administration
· Investigate bacterial growth for over 300 products
· Conduct daily inspection of facility
| 2) National LaboratoryRacine, WI
| Biological Research Assistant, May 2003 – May 2004
| · Analyzed latest trends in biological warfare
· Provided research support in cellular and molecular studies
· Gathered and processed data for 30 + studies
· Organized and launched a biological research study on Internet
| LANGUAGES: English, German (basic), Latin
Date: 2016-01-05; view: 259