Find Ihe names of banking and financial inslilutious men-Honed in the dialogue and Ihe lexl and match Ihem ivilh Ihe definitions given in the exercise
1. A bank whose major services are accepting and prolecling money for deposit and paying cheques issued by the deposi tors, laws permit lo invest for profit a portion of Ihis money.
2. A bank which has a charier from the federal government. •1 A bank which has a charier from a slale government
4. A bank established by the government of the USA to make loans for the purchase of land.
5. An institution which handles brokerage.
6. A place where stocks arc bought and sold.
7. An institution formed by a group of persons who combine their savings in order to make loans to members at a low rale of interest.
8. A lending institution without a bank charter which spe cializes in making small loans on open note or secured by chattel mortgage.
9. An institution which accepts savings deposits and makes loans mainly for the purchase and repair of homes.
10.An institution which manages trusts and services.
11. A banker's bank and lender of last resort.
Using the words in brackets as a guide, explain the meaning of the following terms:
1. fiduciary services (trusts, estates, management, having to do with)
2. securities (units of fixed obligation, a company, govern ment, fixed term, slocks)
3. broker (stocks and bonds, for others, sells, buys)
4. charter (to carry on, give permission, an official paper)
5. lending instilulion (to make loans, empowered)
6. The Treasury (governmenl, deparlmenl, Brilish, national economic policy, public expenditure, control, coordinale)
Say what is true and what is false. Correct the false sentences:
1. Commercial bank's services are limited.
2. Fiduciary services are handled by trusl companies.
3. Commercial banks don'I deal with brokerage services!
4. American stale banks offer fewer services than a national
5. The interesl on deposils is usually higher in savings and
6. Savings and loan associations offer regular commercial ser vices.
7. Every English bank issues its own notes. J
8. All the important institutions in the City maintain accounts al the Bank of England.
9. The amounl of money available for British borrowers de pends on The Treasury orders.
Study the following example: We employ people. A person who employs is an employer. A person who is employed is an employee. The suffix -er is generally used for a person who docs the action. The suffix -ĺĺ is generally used for a person to whom something is done. It has passive meaning.
Complete the. following:
1. We remit money orders.
A person who remits is a....
A person to whom the money order is rernitled is a
2. We transfer bank drafts................... j A person who transfers them is a....
A person lo whom Ihey are transferred is a...
3. You draw out a cheque.
A person who draws a cheque is a...
The bank on which the cheque is drawn is a...
A person to whom the cheque is made payable is a
4. One can pledge assets as security.
A person who pledges assets as security is a A person to whom assets are pledged is a..
5. Loans are granted.
A person who grants a loan is a....
A person to whom a loan is granted is a...
6. A person to whom one's affairs are trusted is a
Using prefixes il-,im-, in-, ir-, un-, ďîď-,etc., give nega tive adjectives which are related to the following: expensive negotiable regular
important orderly spieificd
legal payable stable
matured proper sufficient
movable profitable transferable
Combine the words listed below into meaningful two or three word expressions as possible:
For each of the. following phrases, find the. expression in llie text that explains it: \, restricted range of services
2. services having to do with Irusls and estates
3. services having to do with buying and selling securities
4. bank which gels its charter from Ihe slate > ~5. slocks and bonds
6, a place where slocks arc bought and sold
7, Ihe fund in which Ihe gold aucl foreign currency reserves of Greal Britain are held
8. bonds with a very short life span before Ihe government buys them back again
9. economic policy which regulales the level of money or li quidity
Fill in the blanks:
In every capilal city Ihcre are numerous institutions which
make loans. There are numerous.... institutions. One can
also borrow money from the..... though their major func-
lion is accepting deposits. People who need a loan for the pur chase of land can apply for il lo a.. If you need to borrow
money for the purchase or repair of your house or just make saving deposits you can call al a.... Many individual com panies run.... which are formed by combining savings of the
people working there. They make loans lo their members al a
low....... Anyone having problems with Irusls/or estates can
seek advice al a.......... They deal with..... mailers. People
interested in the purchase of slocks or shares usually go lo a .... which specializes in handling.....
assign (v) beneficiary
corporate bond (US)
counsel (v) (US)
Demonstrate the meaning of the following expressions ą sentences of your own: