The infinitive and the Ėing form
Words and sentences
1. We gave Ö. A meal.
a) at the visitors b) for the visitors c) the visitors d) to the visitors
2. Iím busy at the moment. ÖÖ on the computer.
a) I work b) Iím work c) Iím working d) I working
3. My friend Ö.. the answer to the question.
a) is know b) know c) knowing d) knows
4. I think Iíll buy these shoes. Ö.. really well.
a) They fit b) They have fit c) theyíre fitting d) They were fitting
5. Where Ö. the car?
a) did you park b) did you parked c) parked you d) you parked
6.At nine oíclock yesterday morning we Ö. for the bus.
a) wait b) waiting c) was waiting d) were waiting
7. When I looked round the door, the baby Ö. quietly.
a) is sleeping b) slept c) was sleeping d) were sleeping
8. hereís my report. Ö. it at last.
a) I finish b) I finished c) Iím finished d) Iíve finished
9. Iíve Ö. made some coffee. Itís in the kitchen.
a) ever b) just c) never d) yet
10. We Ö. to Ireland for our holidays last year.
a) goes b) going c) have gone d) went
11. Robert Ö.. ill for three weeks. Heís still in hospital.
a) had been b) has been c) is d) was
12. My arms are aching now because Ö since two oíclock.
a) Iím swimming b) I swam c) I swim d) Iíve been swimming
13. Iím very tired. Ö.. over four hundred miles today.
a) I drive b) Iím driving c) Iíve been driving d) Iíve driven
14. When Martin Ö. the car, he took it out for a drive.
a) had repaired b) has repaired c) repaired d) was repairing
15. Janet was cut of breath because Ö.. .
a) sheíd been running b) she did run c) sheís been running d) sheís run
16. Donít worry. I Ö. be here to help you.
a) not b) shall c) willnít d) wonít
17. Our friends Ö. meet us at the airport tonight.
a) are b) are going to c) go to d) will be to
18. ÖÖ a party next Saturday. Weíve sent out the invitations.
a) We had b) We have c) Weíll have d) Weíre having
19. Iíll tell Anna all the news when Ö. her.
a) Iíll b) Iím going to see c) I see d) I shall see
20. At this time tomorrow Ö. over the Atlantic.
a) we flying b) weíll be flying c) weíll fly d) we to fly
21. Whereís Robert? Ö. a shower?
a) Does he have b) Has he c) Has he got d) Is he having
22. I Ö. like that coat. Itís really nice.
a) am b) do c) very d) yes
Questions, negatives and answers
23. Whatís the weather like in Canada? How often Ö there?
a) does it snow b) does it snows c) snow it d) snows it
24. Which team Ö. the game?
a) did it win b) did they win c) won d) won it
25. What did you leave the meeting early Ö.? ─ I didnít feel very well.
a) away b) because c) for d) like
26. Unfortunately the driver Ö. the red light.
a) didnít saw b) didnít see c) no saw d) saw not
27. You havenít eaten your pudding. Ö. it?
A) Are you no want b) Do you no want c) Donít want you d) Donít you want
28. I really enjoyed the disco. It was great, Ö.?
a) is it? B) isnít it c) was it d) wasnít it
29. Are we going the right way? ─ I think Ö. .
a) indeed b) it c) so d) yes
30. The chemistís was open, so luckily I Ö. buy some aspirin.
a) can b) canít c) did can d) was able to
31. Susan has to work very hard. I Ö.. do her job, Iím sure.
a) canít b) couldnít c) donít d) shouldnít
32. We had a party last night. Ö. spend all morning clearing up the mess.
a) I must have b) Iíve been c) Iíve had to d) Iíve must
33. There was no one else at the box office. I Ö. in a queue.
a) didnít need to wait b) mustnít wait c) neednít have waited d) neednít wait
34. Ö I carry that bag for you? ─ Oh, thank you.
a) Do b) Shall c) Will d) Would
35. Iíve lost the key. I ought Ö. it in a safe place.
a) that I put b) to be putting c) to have put d) to put
36. We canít go along here because the road is Ö. .
a) been repaired b) being repaired c) repairing d) repaired
37. The story Iíve just read Ö. Agatha Christie.
a) was written b) was written by c) was written from d) wrote
38. Some film stars Ö. be difficult to work with.
a) are said b) are said to c) say d) say to
39. I/m going to go out and Ö. .
a) have cut my hair b) have my hair cut c) let my hair cut d) my hair be cut
The infinitive and the Ėing form
40. The driver was arrested for failing Ö.. an accident.
a) of report b) report c) reporting d) to report
41.Someone suggested Ö.. for a walk.
a) go b) going c) of going d) to go
42. I can remember Ö. voices in the middle of the night.
a) hear b) heard c) hearing d) to hear
43. The police want Ö. anything suspicious.
a) that we report b) us reporting c) us to report d) we report
44. We werenít sure Ö. or just walk in.
a) should knock b) to knock c) whether knock d) whether to knock
45. It was too cold Ö. outside.
a) the guests eating; b) for the guests to eat; c) that the guests should eat; d) that the guests eat
46. Did you congratulate Tessa Ö. her exam?
a) of passing b) on passing c) passing d) to pass
47. I didnít like it in the city at first. But now Ö. here.
a) I got used to living b) Iím used to living c) I used to live d) I used to living
48. They raised the money simply Ö. for it. It was easy.
a) asking b) by asking c) of asking d) with asking
49. As we walked past, we saw Nigel Ö. his car.
a) in washing b) to wash c) wash d) washing
Nouns and articles (a/an and the)
50. I need to buy Ö. .
a) a bread b) a loaf bread c) a loaf of bread d) breads
51. My father is not only the town mayor, he runs Ö., too.
a) a business b) a piece of business c) business d) some business
52. The Ö.. produced at our factory in Scotland.
a) good are b) good is c) goods are d) goods is
53. Iím looking for Ö. to cut this string.
a) a pair scissors b) a scissor c) a scissors d) some scissors
54. I was watching TV at home when suddenly Ö.. rang.
a) a doorbell b) an doorbell c) doorbell d) the doorbell
55. Iíve always liked Ö. .
a) Chinese food b) ffod of China c) some food of China d) the Chinese food
56. In England most children go Ö.. at the age of five.
a) school b) to school c) to some schools d) to the school
57.We havenít had holiday for Ö. time.
a) a so long b) so a long c) such a long d) such long
58. Our friends have a house in Ö. .
a) a West London b) the West London c) West London d) West of London
Date: 2015-12-24; view: 943