4. A friend of yours is now living in Baker Street. You want to know 'How long ...?' You ask: (how long/you/live/in Baker Street?) _________________________________________________________________________________________
5. A friend tells you about his job - he sells computers. You want to know 'How long ...?' You ask: (how long/you/sell/computers?) ___________________________________________________________________________
Read the situations and complete the sentences.
1. The rain started two hours ago. It's still raining now. It has been raining for two hours.
2. We started waiting for the bus 20 minutes ago. We're still waiting now.
We ________________________________________________ for 20 minutes.
3. I started Spanish classes in December. I'm still learning Spanish now.
I ___________________________________________________ since December.
4. Ann began looking for a job six months ago. She's still looking now.
_____________________________________________________ for six months.
5. Mary started working in London on 18 January. She's still working there now.
_______________________________________________________ since 18 January.
6. Years ago you started writing to a pen-friend. You still write to each other regularly now.
We _____________________________________________________ for years.
9.4 Put the verb into the present continuous (I am ~ing etc.) or present perfect continuous (I have been ~ing etc.).
1. Maria has been learning (learn) English for two years.
2. Hello, Tom. I __________________________________________ (look) for you all morning. Where have you been?
3. Why _____________________________________________________ (you/took) at me like that? Stop it!
4. We always go to Ireland for our holidays. We ________________________________________ (go) there for years.
5. I _________________________________________ (think) about what you said and I've decided to take your advice.
6. 'Is Ann on holiday this week?' 'No, she _____________________________________________________ (work).'
7. Sarah is very tired. She ____________________________________________________ (work) very hard recently.
Read the situations and write two sentences using the words in brackets.
1. Tom started reading a book two hours ago. He is still reading it and now he is on page 53.
(read/for two hours) He has been reading for two hours.
(read/53 pages so far) He has read 53 pages so far.
2. Linda is from Australia. She is travelling round Europe at the moment. She began her tour three months ago.
(travel/for three months) She ______________________________________________________________________
(visit/six countries so far) _________________________________________________________________________
3. Jimmy is a tennis player. He began playing tennis when he was ten years old. This year he is national champion again for the fourth time.
(win/the national championship four times)______________________________________________________________
(play/tennis since he was ten)________________________________________________________________________
4. When they left college, Mary and Sue started making films together. They still make films.
(make/ten films since they left college) They ____________________________________________________________
(make/films since they left college)____________________________________________________________________
For each situation, ask a question using the words in brackets.
1. You have a friend who is learning Arabic. You ask: (how long/learn/Arabic?) How long have you been learning Arabic?
2. You have just arrived to meet a friend. She is waiting for you. You ask: (how long/wait?) _____________________________________________________________
3. You see somebody fishing by the river. You ask: (how many fish/catch?)____________________________________
4. Some friends of yours are having a party next week. You ask: (how many people/invite?)