Вопрос 5. The main street of St.-Petersburg – Nevsky avenue. Churches on Nevsky avenue.
Nevsky Avenue is the main street in the city. It is begin from The Shipbuilding yard to Saint Alexander Nevsky Monastery. Avenue got its name in honor of Alexander Nevsky, prince of Novgorod. When Peter I started building the capital he ordered to transfer the bones of Alexander Nevsky, who had been canonized by Russian Orthodox church from Vladimir to St.-P.
The monastery was founded in July 1710 - seven years after the foundation of Petersburg - by Peter the Great. In 1712, the first church was built, in wood The monastery began working shortly afterward.
In 1724, a new church, designed by Italian architect Domenico Trezzini, was consecrated. The new church was named for Alexander Nevsky whose remains were brought to the church from the ancient city of Vladimir. The day the remains were moved into the new church was celebrated each year as a holiday. For many visitors one of the major attractions is the monastery's graveyards, home to the final resting places of many of the great names of Russian culture. The Tikhvin Cemetery contains many of the most famous graves: In the far right-hand corner from the gate is an impressive bust of Tchaikovsky over his grave, while close by are Rubinshtein, Mussorgsky, Rimsky-Korsakov and Glinka. Dostoevsky lies further back along the wall, towards the gate. The other main cemetery, the Lazarus Cemetery, is the resting place of several of the great architects who left their indelible mark on the city, including Starov, Quarenghi and Rossi.
ARMENIAN CHURCH. Yri Felten designed the beautiful blue and white Armenian Church of St. Catherine. The church was opened in 1780. It was financed by very welthy Armenian – Иоким Лазарь. Who sold very famous Persian diamond to count Orlov.
In 1930 this church was closed as on active church but now it’s active again and belongs to the Armenian community.
ST. CATHERINE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH. It was designed by Vallen de Lamont, Antonio Rinaldi in 1762-1782.
the impressive Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan or Kazan Cathedral, constructed between 1801 and 1811 by the architect Andrei Voronikhin, with impressive stone colonnade, encircling a small garden and central fountain. After the war of 1812 (during which Napoleon was defeated) the church became a monument to Russian victory. Captured enemy banners were put in the cathedral and the famous Russian Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov, who won the most important campaign of 1812, was buried inside the church. In 1837, Boris Orlovsky designed two bronze statues of Kutuzov and Barclay de Tolly in front of the cathedral
In 1705, Peter the Great decreed that the Roman Catholic and Protestant churches can be established in Saint Petersburg. In 1708, a Lutheran church was established in Saint Petersburg. The present building of St. Peter's Lutheran Church was designed by Alexander Brulllov and built in 1833-1837. This church was requisitioned by the local government and was used as an indoor swimming pool. During the 1990s, the church building was returned to St. Peter's Church and was restored.
Date: 2015-12-24; view: 645