1. Listen to the conversations 1-5. Who is Bob talking to each time?
a) a friend b) a group of friends c) a doctor’s receptionist d) his colleague e) his wife
Answer the questions.
1. What did they suggest? 2. Whose advice does he decide to take? Why?
1. Listen to the dialogue and fill in the missing words. What’s wrong with Betty?
A: Are you okay, Betty? You look a bit 1) _____ .
B: Actually, I feel 2) _____ .
A: Oh! What’s wrong?
B: I’m burning up and my whole body 3) _____ , too.
A: Sounds to me like 4) _____ . If I were you, I would go to bed.
Use the prompts to act out similar dialogues.
· burning feeling in my chest – heartburn –take an antacid tablet.
· can’t stop yawning – you’re overtired –get an early night
3. When was the last time you felt unwell? What were the symptoms?
1. How much do you know about alternative medicine? What health problems does homeopathy / osteopathy / acupuncture work for? Are you all for conventional medicine?
2. Listen to the article written by Mike Rayner about alternative medicine, particularly acupunctureand complete the sentences below.
What is acupuncture?
Acupuncture is based on the idea that ______ flows through the _____ ____ along 12 lines or meridians. These meridians end up at ______ in the body, and _______ is the result of a blockage of the energy flow to these organs. To ______ the blockage, an acupuncturist inserts very fine _______ into the body at points along the meridians. This __________ the flow of energy, and restores the patient’s ______.
What can acupuncture be used to treat?
In the Far East acupuncture is used to _____ a wide range of ___________, and is also used as a preventative ________, since it is thought to increase the body’s resistance to _________. In the West, the __________ is often used to relieve _________, ______ ____, ____ ____, and arthritis, and to treat _________, ______, ______, ____ _____ ________ and _______.
What are the risks?
Finally, if you do decide to visit an acupuncturist, it is important that you check that they are _________ and ___________ to practise acupuncture. In the past some people have experienced ________ _________, ______ needles and even _________ _____ while being _______, although this is very uncommon.