Zaporizhzhya National University (ZNU) has 80-years’ long history. It was established back in 1930 as Public Education Institute, then was transformed into Teachers’ Training Institute for Professional Education and later into State Pedagogic Institute. Finally, the institution’s name was changed to National University.
University is nationally accredited the highest 4th level and is among the most renowned leading universities in Ukraine. It is a shrine for education and science as well as storehouse for accumulating and spreading out Ukrainian cultural values of Prydniprovia region even far beyond its boundaries.
The University body is made of 17 faculties and 59 departments. It incorporates Nikopol Institute and Faculty of Economics and Humanities in Melitopol, Research Institute of Ukrainian Cossacks, Foreign Languages Intensive Study Center, Department of graduate education and extended educational services, Business Education Center.
The ultimate goal lies in providing high-quality education after 31 specializations. With over 600 teaching staff, among them 72 professors and doctors, 343 associate professors and PhDs. University is strong in teaching and research work.
At present over 14.000 full-time and part-time students study in ZNU. Graduate school allows graduate students to pursue their studies in either of 42 specializations and doctoral studies in either of 12 specializations. It has 4 specialized Boards of Academics for thesis defense.
University enrolls students for full and part-time study providing government scholarship for high score students to the faculties and specialties:
· Faculty of Social Sciences and Administration (Sociology, Political Science, Social work, Public Administration)
· Faculty of Foreign Philology (Philology: English Language and Literature/German Language and Literature/French Language and Literature/Spanish Language and Literature. Translation/Interpretation: English, German, French)
· Faculty of Philology (Ukrainian Language and Literature/Russian Language and Literature)
· Faculty of Biology (Biology, Ecology and Environmental Protection, Chemistry, Forestry and Landscape Design)
· Faculty of Economics (Finance and Credit, Accounting and Audit, Economic Cybernetics, International Economics)
· Faculty of Physical Training (Physical Training, Sports, Human Health, Tourism)
· Faculty of Law (Jurisprudence)
· Faculty of Social Pedagogics and Psychology (Psychology, Social Pedagogics, Higher Education Pedagogics, Dramatic Arts)
· Faculty of Management (Management of Organizations, Foreign Economic Activities Management, Logistics)
· Faculty of Journalism (Journalism, Publishing and Editing, Advertising and Public Relations)
· Preparatory Faculty for Prospective Students
· Crimean Faculty
ZNU premises comprise 8 academic buildings, sports gym, four dormitories and Ukrainian-Swiss Centre “English for Kids”. Scientific library is the University resource for academic information and up-to-date scientific literature. The services are ensured by 3 libraries and 8 reading halls.
Over 30.000 readers use its services throughout academic year provided with access to more than 1 mln latest scientific and academic publications. Electronic library, 11 computer classes with Internet access, University publishing house are at students and young researchers’ disposal.
As far as the health is concerned, students and teaching faculty and staff can avail of health centre with modern medical equipment located in the Khortytsia Island, and "Slavutych" recreation center on Azov Sea coast.
Students enjoy their out-of-classroom experiences in Students Club, sports club or University’s “Universe” FM-station, local TV channel “Universe-TV”, press centre or editorial office of local academic newspaper.
University issues “ZNU Bulletin” and “Nova Filologiya” (New Philology), scientific periodical publications for young researchers and academics to publish results of their scientific effort.
Crimean faculty of physical culture, sports and tourism of Zaporizhzhya National University was established in 2000 as a separate university department. The faculty provides education on the grounds of license issued to Zaporizhzhya National University. Crimean faculty trains experts with degrees of bachelor and specialist with specialization in:
7.010201 „Physical culture”.Diploma qualification: teacher of physical culture and sports.
7.010202 „Physical rehabilitation”with specialization: physical recreation, sport rehabilitation. Diploma qualification: specialist in rehabilitation, teacher of physical culture and sports.
7.050201 „Management of organizations”specialization: management of hotel, resort and tourist service. Diploma qualification: manager-economist.