Who has words at the right moment? Charlotte Bronte
1. Match the words given in the left column with their definitions in the right column, e.g. 1-21:
assert with a view to subsequent proof
the image of the object on the radar
a declaration of freedom from restrictions
a person who sees no good in anything
and no belief in human goodness
striking fear into
the principal book of accounts
a forgiving disposition
one who is nominated by another
of an evil, suggesting future trouble
a person who has unusual abilities
thorough search, turn things over in
a firm strip of ground for aircraft to
take off from and land on
cry out in a loud voice
watch with a hand that can be started
and stopped when desired
leaving the ground for flight
joint between the hand and the arm
Ò.Ó^Ø Computer for Granted
2. Invent sentences using the expressions from the list below:
a throwaway commodity access to smbd's money at machines
depend very heavily on electronic engine management every now and then feel at the machines mercy hit the road pursue that route run on paper
shift back to smth take for granted
take stock of the point is
3. Reading comprehension
smth that's good for nothing,
money available because of the
help of computer
depend very much on
electronic control of the engine
from time to time
be dependent on the computers
go or drive away
work that way
manage without the help of
return to smth
take as true without further
the chief idea is
Read the text, try to understand it and put the items in the right order. The first one is already in correct position.
1. Computer personnel - people who work with or are associated with computers. In a large computer department the staff may work under the direction of a data processing manager, who supervises and coordinates the work performed.
2. Personnel who run existing application programs: data control staff receive information from computer users (for instance, from the company's wages clerks)/ ensure that it is processed as required, and return it to them in the processed form.
3. Computer personnel can be broadly divide into two categories: those who run and maintain existing application programs (programs that perform a task for the benefit of user) and those who develop new applications.
4. Once the information has been typed it is placed directly onto a medium such as disc or tape. Computer operators work directly with computers, running the programs etc; computer engineers repair and maintain computer hardware; file librarians, or media librarians, store and issue the data files used by the department; an operations manager coordinates all the day-to-day activity of these staff.
5. Data preparation staff, or keyboard operators, prepare the information received by the data control staff so that it is ready for processing by computer.
4. Computer terms in use
Are you sure you really know widely spread computer terms? In the list below some of them are given together with their definitions. Find out Russian equivalents.
If it's beyond your reach, give Russian explanations at least
RAMThe abbreviation of RANDOM ACCESS
MEMORY, the immediate or «working» memory, that can be quickly accessed without requiring a search of storage areas. RAM is also referred to as a main memory, and holds whatever application program, and associated data, is currently being used.
ADD-INComponents like increased memory, that can
be added to a computer, generally onto an already installed printed circuit board.
SLAVEA device such as printer, under the complete
control of another device.
BACK UPThe process of making additional copies of data to protect them from unexpected disaster.