a) Carriage Forward b) Container Freight station c) Cost, Insurance and
IV. Fill in the gaps:
9) We regret we were unable to send a _____ to settle our account for the last quarter.
a) letter b) cheque c) fax
10) I’m writing to you concerning your order ¹ CU 1154/d, which you _____ four weeks ago.
a) did b) made c) placed
11) Did you make your ______ by fax or by letter?
a) require b) enquiry c) desire
V. Define the kind of a business letter:
I am writing to you concerning your order, No. CU 1154/d, which you placed four weeks ago. At that time we had expected to beable to complete the order well within the delivery date which we gave you of 18 June, but since then we have heard that our main supplier of chromehas gone bankrupt.
It will be necessary to find an alternative supplier who can fulfil all the outstanding contracts we haveto complete. As you will appreciate this will take some time, but we are confident that weshould beable to deliver consignments to our customers by the middle of next month.
Theunits themselveshavebeenassembledand only needcompleting. We regret this unfortunate situation over which we had no control and apologize for theinconvenience caused. We will understand if you wish to cancel theorder, but stress that we are confident that we will beable to completedelivery by the middle of next month.
a) a letter of enquiry b) an apologize c) a complaint
VI. Read the following business letter and define the parts of the letter:
13) Telephone +44 (0)12824625
Facsimile +44(0)1282 6382
14) 10 June 2008
15) Ms L. Lowe
Sanders & Lowe Ltd
London ECI 7DQ
Dear Ms Lowe
16) We were pleased to receive your enquiry today, and are enclosing the catalogue and price list you asked for.
You will see that we can offer a wide selection of dinner and tea services ranging from the rugged ‘Greystone’ earthenware breakfast sets to the delicate 'Ming' bone china dinner service. You can choose from more than fifty designs, which include the elegance of ‘Wedgwood’, the delicate pattern of ‘Willow’, and the richness of ‘Brownstone’ glaze.
We would very much like to add your clients to our worldwide list of customers, and could promise them an excellent product with a first-class service. We would be glad to accept orders for any number of places and can mix sets if required.
You will see that our prices are quoted CIF to Eastern Canadian sea board ports and we are offering a special 10% discount off all net prices, with delivery within three weeks from receipt of order.
If there is any further information you need, please contact us, or go to our website at the address above. Once again thank you for your enquiry.
17) Yours sincerely
J. Merton (Mr)
13) a) inside address b) sender’s address c) post office’s address
14) a) date of sending the letter off b) date of receiving the letter
15) a) post office’s address b) sender’s address c) inside address
16) salutation b) body of the letter c) attention line
17) signature b) complimentary close c) job title
VII. Choose the right word or word-combination to fill in the gaps in a memo:
To: Secreterial Supervisor
18) _____: Claire McElroy
19) _____: Demonstration of new office equipment
The Sales Manager of Smart Equipment will visit us on 28 April to demonstrate their new computer and fax-machine which you are sure to be interested in.
Please arrange the time to meet him so that all your staff could be present.
18) a) for b) from c) of
19) a) subject b) attention line c) about
20) a) Sales Manager b) Secreterial Supervisor c) Claire McElroy